The holiday season is a special time of the year! While it’s a wonderful time to enjoy all the delicious meals and travel to visit your loved ones, it can be easy to get off track in caring for your oral health. When it’s time to visit your dentist at the start of the new year, you may discover you have a new cavity or an increase in gum inflammation. Here’s why the festivities can affect your teeth and what you can do to keep your smile bright and healthy for 2023.
Why Can the Holidays Have a Negative Impact on Your Oral Health?
Amidst all the fun games, special traditions, and good times with friends and family during the festive season, there are various foods, drinks, and habits that can negatively impact your smile. Here are several reasons the holidays can be harmful to your smile:
- Constant Snacking: Frequently snacking throughout the day causes harmful bacteria to build in your mouth. This can result in tooth decay and cavities, as you won’t be able to produce enough saliva to wash away all of the particles.
- Straying from Your Regular Routine: Neglecting your regular oral hygiene routine (such as brushing twice a day and flossing daily) due to late nights and traveling can cause plaque to quickly build upon your teeth.
- Excessive Sugar: Saying “yes” to every sugary treat throughout the holidays can weaken your protective enamel and result in developing cavities.
It may be tempting to forego your daily dental care or overindulge in sweets while having your holiday fun but preserving your teeth should be a priority this time of year. Since oral health issues like gum disease and cavities can develop rather quickly, you’ll need to stay on top of keeping your pearly whites clean and be mindful of your daily habits. If not, you may end up requiring costly restorative treatments in the future.
Tips to Protect Your Smile During the Holiday Season
Although the holiday season has the potential to cause dental issues, it doesn’t mean you’ll have to put a damper on the celebrations. You can still the treats and enjoy quality time with your loved ones as long as you practice the following measures:
- Be mindful of how much sugar you’re consuming. Moderation is key; enjoy a few sweets but keep them at a minimum.
- Set a reminder on your phone to brush and floss your teeth at your usual times.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth clean, especially if you’re snacking more than usual.
- Have dental floss on hand so you can clean between your teeth whenever you’re done eating.
- Choose holiday foods that are good for oral health such as cranberries, vegetables, turkey, and cheese.
- Schedule a post-holiday dental appointment. That way, if any dental issues do occur, they can be identified and treated as soon as possible.
The holidays are meant to be fully enjoyed and celebrated…just be sure to care for your smile throughout them, too! With these tips in mind, you are sure to have a happy and healthier smile in 2023.
About the Practice
Distinctive Smiles of Dublin is eager to help you keep your smile healthy throughout every season of the year! Through the expertise of their two dentists, they provide a full range of services, including preventive, restorative, cosmetic, and emergency care. They use personalized plans and advanced dental technology so your pearly whites can remain in top condition. To schedule an appointment, contact them through their website or call (614) 792-1800.