Dangers of Sleep Apnea – Dublin, OH
Understanding the Risks of Untreated Sleep Apnea
Do you snore loudly? Maybe you wake up feeling tired? You could have sleep apnea. This sleeping disorder interrupts your breathing during sleep, causing daytime drowsiness and other issues. However, untreated sleep apnea can increase your risk of even more serious health conditions, which is why seeking treatment is so important. At Distinctive Smiles of Dublin, we treat sleep apnea to give our dental patients a good night’s rest but to also protect them from some of its hidden dangers. Keep reading to learn more about some of the hidden dangers of sleep apnea in Dublin, OH.
Why Choose Distinctive Smiles of Dublin for Sleep Apnea?
- Experienced Sleep Dentist
- Custom-Made Solutions for Each Patient
- Medical Insurance Accepted
How Can Sleep Apnea Affect My Health?
While sleep apnea obviously causes restlessness, sleepiness, snoring, lack of productivity, and more, it actually has some hidden dangers that you should be aware of. If sleep apnea is left untreated, it can increase your risk of issues like:
- High blood pressure: If you already struggle with high blood pressure, sleep apnea can exacerbate it. Waking up during the night causes stress, which contributes to higher blood pressure.
- Heart disease: Sleep apnea interrupts the way your body takes in oxygen, which makes it harder for your brain to control blood flow to your arteries, raising your risk of heart attack.
- Type 2 diabetes: Not getting enough sleep can keep your body from using insulin properly, which increases your risk of diabetes. Also, about 80% of people with diabetes have sleep apnea.
- Weight gain: Excess weight increases your chance of sleep apnea, but this sleep disorder also makes it harder to lose weight once it’s gained.
- Adult asthma: While research is inconclusive, people who receive sleep apnea treatment also get fewer asthma attacks.
How Can Sleep Apnea Affect Others Around Me?
Unfortunately, sleep apnea can even put those around you in danger. For instance, one of the most common symptoms is daytime sleepiness, which can cause people to fall asleep while driving or while operating a motor vehicle. Besides the fact that you’re putting yourself at risk, you’re also putting others in danger by getting on the road with untreated sleep apnea.
Additionally, if you have a sleeping partner at home, you can be sure that they have been affected by your sleep apnea. Loud snoring and gasping can even be disruptive to your whole household, which is why you should contact us right away if you notice symptoms of sleep apnea. For many patients, these are reasons enough to seek treatment as soon as possible.
Are you ready to take back control of your night’s sleep? Contact our dental office to have a safer, better, and more restful day-to-day life.
I Need a Checkup & Cleaning I Need a Dentist for My Child I am Concerned About Bleeding Gums I Have a Cavity or Broken Tooth I am Missing One or More Teeth I Want to Enhance My Smile I Want a Straighter Smile I am Scared of the Dentist I am in Pain & Need Help I am Concerned About Sleep Apnea I Have Pain in My Jaw View Our Services