When it comes to making a lasting impression, one of the surest ways is to flash a brilliant, bold and beautiful smile. Studies show that one-third of Americans notice your teeth before any other feature, and 24% say that it’s the part of the face they remember more than anything else. But what matters the most is the fact that it’s the part of your face that you focus on and want perfected. That’s why you’ve decided to make a change. You know that you deserve to have the smile of your dreams, but just need the right direction to get there. That’s why your local professional has decided to weigh in and discuss the benefits of visiting a cosmetic dentist of Dublin.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on the aesthetic appeal of your mouth, teeth and gums. It creates the image of a perfect smile through several options, yet still has some functional benefits. For example, straightening your teeth is considered to be a cosmetic application, yet it allows you to chew your food better, pronounce words clearly and prevent gum disease by addressing the crowding of your teeth.
Forms of Cosmetic Dentistry
Here are some of the different types of cosmetic dentistry available to you:
- Cosmetic Bonding – This involves the use of composite resin material to conceal or repair smile imperfections like chips, stains, gaps or to fill cavities.
- Porcelain Veneers – With this process thin strips of porcelain are adhered to your teeth and mask the same minor imperfections as cosmetic bonding. This is also one of the more preferred methods of addressing tooth staining.
- Porcelain Crowns – If you have decayed, worn or broken teeth, a crown can not only improve your look, but will also help you regain the function of your tooth.
- Six Month Smiles – An alternative to traditional braces, this option only addresses the teeth that are visible when you smile. This method also allows wearers to experience a pain-free process, as force is not applied to their entire mouth.
- Adult Orthodontics – In addition to six-month smiles, the other two means of orthodontic correction are ClearCorrect and Invisalign. These processes use clear trays to comfortably adjust your smile, while allowing you to maintain excellent oral hygiene.
- Inlays and Onlays – These options are used when you need more than just a normal filling but less than a crown due to tooth decay. The inlay is designed to go between the cusps of your teeth, while the onlay is made to fit over one or more of your cusps.
- Smile Makeover – This is a combination of restorative and cosmetic work that allows you to regain function and confidence by removing, repairing or concealing imperfections.
- Teeth Whitening – Another way to address stained teeth is with professional whitening. It can brighten them by up to eight shades.
After your visit to your local cosmetic dentist, you can be confident that you will feel better about yourself and make a positive first impression with every new person you meet.
About the Author
Dr. Hannah Burton received her Bachelor of Science in Biology and Doctor of Dental Surgery degrees from The Ohio State University. A member of the American Dental Association, she practices at Distinctive Smiles of Dublin and can be reached for more information through her website.