We’re learning more about the strong link between oral and overall health every single year — and the need for regular dental care is more apparent than ever. Dental insurance can help pay for things like gum disease treatment, and having it makes six month checkups and cleanings absolutely free. But do you really understand the ins and outs of your insurance plan? Most people don’t. Your dentist in Dublin wants to change that. Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about dental insurance!
Dental Insurance: The Basics
Most dental insurance plans are fee-for-service, meaning that in exchange for a certain amount of money paid monthly, you are eligible to receive a list of services either for free or heavily discounted. Preventive treatments like six month checkups and cleanings, fluoride treatments, and annual x-rays are usually completely covered.
Some important terms to know:
- Deductible: The amount you have to pay out of pocket before your insurance provider will begin paying for services
- Premium: The amount you pay monthly in exchange for insurance coverage
- Annual maximum: The amount up to which your dental insurance provider must pay for services
- Claim: A request your dentist’s office sends to the insurance company to be reimbursed for services provided
- Verification of benefits: When your dentist’s office calls the dental insurance provider to confirm the details of your plan — like what you are eligible for, what your deductible is, etc.
What Does Your Plan Cover?
Your coverage depends on the specifics of your plan. Most dental insurance works like this.
- Preventive dentistry, 100% covered: Twice-annual checkups and cleanings, x-rays, fluoride treatments and dental sealants (usually limited to children)
- Basic restorative services, 80% covered: Fillings, inlay/onlay, extraction
- Major restorative services, 50% covered: Crown, bridge, root canal
When you visit the dentist for a service that is completely covered, no money exchanges hands. For anything else, you pay the amount owed at the time of your appointment. We will file the claim and receive the full payment later on.
Insurance at Distinctive Smiles
Insurance is easy at our office. We want your dental care to fit comfortably within the bounds of your budget, and that’s why, no matter what your dental insurance plan is, we happily accept it! Our team of experts will file your insurance claim and make sure you get to maximize your dental benefits.
For your convenience, we also offer third party financing through CareCredit and Chase Health Advance.
About the Authors
Dr. Eric Buck and Dr. Hannah Burton provide true excellence in dentistry for friends and families in Dublin. To learn more about how dental insurance works at Distinctive Smiles, or to go ahead and schedule an appointment for superior general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry, you are invited to contact the office at (614) 792-1800.